Press release: Wales goods exports up by 12.3% in 2017

Exports of goods have risen 12.3% (£16.4billion) in Wales during 2017 compared to the previous 12 months, the latest HMRC figures show (published Thursday 8th March).

The figures show that Wales is home to nearly 4,000 exporters with an average value per exporter of more than £4.2million.

Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns said:

The big increase in Welsh exports shows our home-grown companies are succeeding on the world stage and that there is a global demand for the high quality goods and services that we have to offer.

But there is so much more that we can achieve. I want Welsh businesses to get out into the wider world, to trade and do business. That is why we are sharing the advice, guidance and support available from the UK Government, in particular from the Department for International Trade, for Welsh businesses in our Wales Export Guide.

From advice and guidance to financial assistance and support to attend trade fairs, the UK Government.has a wide range of support available to businesses looking to build their brand abroad as we continue to increase Wales’ significant impact on the UK’s burgeoning export rates.

International Trade Secretary, Dr Liam Fox said:

The UK is entering a period of unprecedented economic opportunity, with latest figures showing a surge in exports together with an increase in manufacturing output at the start of the year – this adds up to a positive picture for the British economy.

As an international economic department, we are supporting UK businesses from every part of the country to succeed on the global stage, which in turn creates more good jobs and prosperity at home”.

This positive picture is also reflected in the latest Office for National Statistics figures (published Friday, 9th March). These show that UK exports rose 11.5% to £625.9bn in the year from February 2017 to the end of January 2018.

The ONS stats also show the UK’s renowned service sector continues to thrive with exports up 10.1% to £281.4bn, increasing the service surplus to £107.9bn.

Exports continue to grow faster than imports with the overall trade deficit narrowing by £12.8bn from £41.6bn to £28.8bn.

The GREAT Festival of Innovation, taking place from 21 – 24 March in Hong Kong will showcase some of the best British businesses to the Asian market. The Festival will bring together business leaders, Government Ministers and the latest ground-breaking technologies from the UK and across Asia.

Link: Press release: Wales goods exports up by 12.3% in 2017
Source: Gov Press Releases

Press release: 7 years of conflict in Syria: Statement by International Development Secretary and Foreign Secretary

The International Development Secretary, Penny Mordaunt, and Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, have issued a statement to mark seven years of the Syria conflict.

They said:

Today the Syria crisis enters its eighth year. It has become one of the longest and bloodiest wars in recent history. The impact on Syrians, above all civilians, has been devastating with an estimated 400,000 dead and 13 million in need of humanitarian assistance.

The Asad regime and those who back it bear overwhelming responsibility for the destruction of the country, its infrastructure and the lives of its people.

Despite promises of de-escalation, the violence continues and the civilian death toll continues to rise. Last month the UK supported UN Security Council Resolution 2401 calling for a ceasefire. Yet in Eastern Ghouta – which Russia itself declared to be a de-escalation area – the regime, with Russian support, has continued to bombard and besiege the population, turning it into a hell on earth. Over 1,100 people are estimated to have been killed there since 18 February alone.

We find it utterly abhorrent that the regime is using food and medical supplies as a weapon of war. Civilians continue to be deliberately and indiscriminately targeted by military strikes, and despite promises made by Russia to ensure Syria would abandon all of its chemical weapons in 2013, international investigators have confirmed that the regime has since used chemical weapons in four separate attacks – which Russia has gone to great lengths to conceal. The UK is committed to ensuring that all those responsible for chemical weapons use and other violations of international law in this conflict are held to account.

The UK has always been at the forefront of the response to the crisis. More than 13 million people in Syria and in neighbouring countries are still in need of assistance. We will continue to help innocent people survive the toughest situations imaginable and, ultimately, help them to rebuild their lives.

The suffering will only end when there is a political solution to the conflict. We will continue to use our position on the UN Security Council to pursue this, as well as to unlock humanitarian access and protect civilians. The UN is ready to mediate a settlement. The opposition have declared their readiness for negotiations without preconditions. But the regime continues to obstruct progress. The international community must commit to a ceasefire and a political process that ends this conflict for good.

Link: Press release: 7 years of conflict in Syria: Statement by International Development Secretary and Foreign Secretary
Source: Gov Press Releases

Press release: New video showcases design for major M25 junction upgrade

The animations show the design of the junction as well widening of the A3 at the Painshill junction, as well as the new access road for RHS Gardens Wisley. The preferred route was announced last year and a consultation on the final design was launched last month and runs until 26 March.

Highways England senior project manager Brian Gash said:

We hope that this fly-through video helps to give people a good overview of how each element of the upgrade will look when complete. It’s a hugely busy junction with one of the road networks highest collision rates and this upgrade will not only help to alleviate the congestion but improve safety as well.

We are nearing the end of the consultation period but there is still plenty of time to get involved. We welcome all views and ideas and encourage those with an interest in the scheme to come and see the project team at an event.

Under the plans, the interchange between the M25 and the A3 will be redesigned to create four dedicated link roads for all drivers making left turns at the junction while drivers turning right will use a new enlarged junction roundabout.

The A3 will also be widened from three lanes to four between Ockham and Painshill in both directions with two lanes remaining over the M25. A new access road providing better, safer access to several local roads and RHS Garden Wisley will be created. The A245 will also be widened near the Painshill junction to accommodate three lanes of traffic leaving and joining the A3.

image showing a visualisation of the M25 junction 10 scheme
Screen grab of the new Highways England visualisation of the M25 junction 10 scheme

A public consultation on the proposals runs until 26 March. Highways England is holding information exhibitions at venues across the area so that people can examine the proposals and put any questions directly to project team.

Public information events dates and locations still to go:

  • Friday 16 March 8am to 8pm, Cobham Services, M25
  • Friday 23 March 8am to 8pm, Cobham Services, M25

The new visualisation, details on the design and feedback forms are available on the scheme website until 11:45pm on 26 March 2018.

General enquiries

Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.

Media enquiries

Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.


Link: Press release: New video showcases design for major M25 junction upgrade
Source: Gov Press Releases