Data Protection Bill [HL]: Consideration of Lords Message
Link: Publication: Consideration of Lords Message
Source: Data Protection Bill
Data Protection Bill [HL]: Consideration of Lords Message
Link: Publication: Consideration of Lords Message
Source: Data Protection Bill
A man who attacked a woman in her own home has been sent to prison after the Solicitor General, Robert Buckland QC MP, referred his original sentence for being too low.
Steven Ridings, 55, attacked, forcibly restrained, and threatened to kill the victim with kitchen knives.
Ridings was originally sentenced to 12 months’ imprisonment suspended for 2 years at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court. He was also required to fulfil rehabilitation and unpaid work requirements, and a restraining order was made.
Today, after the Solicitor General’s reference, the Court of Appeal increased his sentence to 21 months in prison.
Commenting on the sentence increase, the Solicitor General said:
I am pleased that the Court of Appeal has agreed with my referral and sentenced Mr Ridings’ to immediate custody. His victim went through a terrifying ordeal, and I hope that this decision will bring her some comfort.
Link: Press release: Attacker jailed following Solicitor General’s referral
Source: Gov Press Releases
As part of the Peninsular Road Safety Partnership, Highways England joined forces with Devon and Cornwall Police, Devon and Somerset Fire Service and Devon County Council to promote road safety awareness at the annual BMAD motorcycling festival in Paignton, which was attended by more than 10,000 people over the first May Bank Holiday weekend.
Following the launch of the Motorcycle Safety Campaign last year, Highways England is currently engaged in the Distressed campaign, which aims to promote behavioural change to help reduced the number of young motorcycle riders killed or seriously injured across the country.
The campaign aims to address the behaviours of young scooter, moped and low-powered motorcycle riders, focusing on three key areas:

Beverley Hannah, Highways England’s regional safety co-ordinator for the South West, attended the popular fundraising event, displaying items of Distressed clothing as well as one of the 10 Ducati motorcycles provided by Highways England for the BikeSafe project.
She said:
Safety is at the heart of everything we do at Highways England and we are conscious that motorcyclists are one of the most vulnerable groups of road users – in 2016, 40 motorcyclists were killed or seriously injured in the South West alone.
The event provided an ideal platform for Highways England to promote responsible riding and road safety information in conjunction with our partners, and this was well received by the many people who visited the stands.
In terms of the campaign, the Distressed clothing items each have a price tag swapping monetary value for a range of possible injuries a young rider could suffer in a collision.
The mental and physical cost of not wearing the correct motorcycle clothing can be far greater than the financial cost, and it’s important that our young riders understand that they need to be prepared and always wear the appropriate clothing when riding.
The campaign forms part of Highways England’s Safe Systems strategy focused on safer vehicles, safer roads and safer people in an effort to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured across the network by 40 per cent by 2020.
More information on motorcycle safety can be found on the Think! website.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.

Link: Press release: Highways England attends event to promote motorcycle safety
Source: Gov Press Releases
The first ever phase of a cholera vaccination campaign will be completed in Yemen today (Tuesday 15 May), as International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt demands full humanitarian access so that even more vulnerable people can receive the vaccinations they need as the rainy season begins.
The looming rains are expected to increase the risk of another life-threatening resurgence of the cholera in the coming weeks. Backed by UK aid and financed by Gavi, the vaccine alliance, doses of the vaccine administered over the last nine days have helped protect 455,000 people from the potentially fatal disease.
This phase aimed to vaccinate everyone over 12-months old in five districts around the city of Aden in the south of Yemen, following the world’s largest cholera outbreak last year, with more than one million suspected cases recorded in the conflict-ravaged country.
With vaccinations being blocked in the north of the country, the International Development Secretary today called for immediate and unfettered humanitarian access to be granted across the whole of Yemen.
International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt said:
Tragically there were more than one million suspected cases of cholera in Yemen last year alone. With the rainy season now starting, there is a danger that the mass pain and suffering throughout the country could be made even worse by a widespread cholera outbreak.
The UK is at the forefront of the international response in Yemen with the first ever phase of a cholera vaccination campaign completed today, helping protect more than 450,000 men, women and children from this potentially fatal disease.
There are still millions of vulnerable people in Yemen whose lives are at risk because aid is being blocked. Vital medicine, fuel, water and sanitation cannot reach those in dire need. I urge all parties to the conflict to allow the next phase of the vaccination campaign to proceed and to enable full and unhindered access including in the north of the country.
UK aid is also helping to detect early signs of a cholera outbreak, increase awareness of how to prevent the spread of the diseases and improve access to sanitation and clean or chlorinated water.
The first ever cholera vaccination campaign in Yemen has now taken place, with 455,000 doses of oral cholera vaccine taken from the Gavi-funded global stockpile being administered in the south of the country by the World Health Organisation, UNICEF and partners.
The UK is largest donor to Gavi, the vaccine alliance. We contributed 25% of the costs of this vaccination campaign, which has paid for 113,750 doses delivered in the last nine days.
The UK is the fourth largest donor to the humanitarian response in Yemen, providing at least £170 million in the financial year 2018/19.
As penholder for Yemen at the UN Security Council, the UK was responsible for the 15 March Presidential Statement on Yemen which included calls for all parties to the conflict to allow unhindered humanitarian and commercial access for food, fuel and medical supplies throughout the country and compliance with obligations under International Humanitarian Law to reduce the impact on civilians. We also called for the payment of public sector salaries to avoid the collapse of critical services.
Email
mediateam@dfid.gov.uk
Telephone
020 7023 0600
Follow the DFID Media office on Twitter – @DFID_Press
Link: Press release: UK aid helps vaccinate over 450,000 people to prevent the spread of deadly cholera in Yemen
Source: Gov Press Releases
Read more about this year’s Youth Select Committee investigation into barriers to work experience
Link: Youth Select Committee 2018 calls for evidence on barriers to work experience
Source: Parliamentary News
Boat owners are being urged to make sure their vessels are properly registered – or face paying thousands of pounds in penalties.
The call comes after 6 boaters were ordered to forfeit more than £7,200 between them – all for failing to register their craft for use on the River Nene.
It is a legal requirement for boat owners to register any vessel they keep, use or let for hire on Environment Agency waterways, and to clearly display a valid registration plate. None of the guilty 6 had done so.
Mark Bennett of Meadow View in Great Addington, Jim Brown of Station Road in Ringstead, David Campion of Oxford Street in Finedon, Andrew James MacGilliuray of Kestrel Lane in Wellingborough, Stewart Richardson of Ringstead Road in Ringstead, and Robert William Whiteside of Beloe Crescent in King’s Lynn have each been given 14 days to pay up.
Their cases were heard at Northampton Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday 1 May 2018. Mr Bennett was ordered to pay a total of £944.99, Mr Brown £1,393.29, Mr Campion £944.99, Mr MacGilliuray – who owned 3 of the unregistered vessels – had to pay £2655.95, Mr Richardson £503.98, and Mr Whiteside £843.98.
It brings the total amount of avoided registration charges that have been recovered by the Environment Agency this year to almost £120,000. The cash is reinvested into maintaining, improving and protecting waterways.
Nathan Arnold, Waterways Partnerships and Development Team Leader, said:
Our historic and precious waterways are an important part of our nation’s heritage and are enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people every year,
Those who don’t contribute as they should are threatening the future of our waterways – and we won’t hesitate to take action against them.
As well as not contributing to the upkeep of waterways, unregistered boats can be unsafe, hazardous to other river users, and a pollution risk to the local environment and its wildlife.
The Environment Agency looks after 353 miles of navigable waterways in the Anglian network, which includes the Ancholme, Black Sluice, Glen, Welland, Nene, Great Ouse and Stour, as well as associated locks and navigation facilities like moorings, showers and toilets.
More information about boating and waterways, including registering vessels, is available from the Environment Agency. If you suspect a boat is illegal, please contact them on 03708 506 506 or email waterways.enforcementanglian@environment-agency.gov.uk
Link: Press release: Boaters warned to register your vessel or face court action
Source: Environment Agency
Data Protection Bill [HL]: Notices of CCLM Amendments as at 15 May 2018
Link: Publication: Notices of CCLM Amendments as at 15 May 2018
Source: Data Protection Bill
Data Protection Bill [HL]: Extract from Commons Amendments to Data Protection Bill as at 15 May 2018
Link: Publication: Extract from Commons Amendments to Data Protection Bill as at 15 May 2018
Source: Data Protection Bill
Data Protection Bill [HL]: Ping Pong (Minutes of Proceedings)
Link: Publication: Ping Pong (Minutes of Proceedings)
Source: Data Protection Bill
Data Protection Bill [HL]: Ping Pong (Hansard)
Link: Publication: Ping Pong (Hansard)
Source: Data Protection Bill