Press release: Strategic Review of Charges Consultation Launched

The Environment Agency is launching a public consultation today (Thursday 30th November) on the cost of its permits and business charges. Regulating business costs the taxpayer money, but under proposals laid out in the Strategic Review of Charges, the burden on the public purse would be significantly reduced. The proposed changes will mean that businesses pay for the full services they use rather than the public – a more financially-sustainable model that will lead to long-term environmental improvements.

This the biggest review of charges that the Environment Agency has ever carried out, and has involved a 12 month period of engagement with businesses and trade associations. There have been very limited changes to business charges since 2011, with costs kept below inflation (CPI).

The proposals are for a simpler and more consistent charging arrangement. Our charges will reflect the amount of regulatory effort needed at a site. Businesses that are well-managed and low-hazard present a low environmental risk and would be charged less. Higher-risk or poor-performing businesses would be charged more.

If the new charges are implemented, the Environment Agency will also be able to invest more in our permitting service. This is vital to improve the standards of certain sectors, such as waste and nuclear industries.

Neil Davies, Environment Agency Director of Regulated Services, said:

Our work to regulate industry protects and enhances the environment. The proposed changes will mean that businesses pay for the full services they use rather than the public. This is more financially-sustainable, will lead to a better service to businesses and long-term improvements to the environment.

We have been engaging with trade associations over the last year while we were developing these proposals. Their input into this process has been really valuable and I urge them to take part in the consultation.

The consultation will run until 12 January 2018, with the proposed charges being introduced in April 2018 – the start of the financial year. To have your say: click here.

Link: Press release: Strategic Review of Charges Consultation Launched
Source: Environment Agency

The First-tier Tribunal and Upper Tribunal (Chambers) (Amendment No. 2) Order 2017

This Order amends the First-tier Tribunal and Upper Tribunal (Chambers) Order 2010 (S.I. 2010/2655) to reflect the conferral of further jurisdiction on the First-tier Tribunal and Upper Tribunal relating to proceedings in respect of functions of the Welsh Revenue Authority and the conferral of further jurisdiction on the Upper Tribunal relating to proceedings under Schedule 3A to the Communications Act 2003 (c. 21) and the Riot Compensation Act 2016 (c. 8).

Link: The First-tier Tribunal and Upper Tribunal (Chambers) (Amendment No. 2) Order 2017
Source: Legislation .gov.uk

Press release: PM meeting with King Abdullah of Jordan: 30 November 2017

A Downing Street spokesperson said:

The Prime Minister held a bilateral meeting with King Abdullah of Jordan in Amman earlier today.

They reflected on the historic relationship between the two countries, and the close bilateral cooperation today. They discussed the importance of Jordan’s continued security, stability and economic sustainability, in the midst of significant instability in the region.

They reviewed the progress the UK and Jordan have made together since the Prime Minister’s last visit in April, including in the fight against Daesh as coalition partners. In particular, they noted the positive impact of the UK’s security support to enable Jordan to deal with internal and external threats.

They discussed the King’s vision for economic reform in Jordan, and the Prime Minister made clear that the UK stands at Jordan’s side in helping to deliver that vision, including through new funding to improve education, create jobs, and boost Jordan’s long-term economic resilience. They agreed that this work should be the focus of long-term bilateral cooperation.

Link: Press release: PM meeting with King Abdullah of Jordan: 30 November 2017
Source: Gov Press Releases

Press release: Police officer who blackmailed member of the public has sentence increased

A police officer who blackmailed a man after photographing him visiting a sex worker has had his prison sentence increased after it was referred to the Court of Appeal as unduly lenient.

Gareth Suffling was a Detective Constable at Bedfordshire police when he parked close to the place of work of a sex worker in Luton and took photos of a man arriving and leaving.

Suffling, 36, put the victim’s car registration plate through the police computer to track down where he lived and blackmailed him, leaving a note and a copy of the photographs. The note told him he must pay £1,000 or the pictures would be sent to family members and neighbours.

The victim reported the blackmail to the police where Suffling was part of the investigating team. Officers noticed he was acting strangely and a search of the police computer found he had already searched for the victim’s details under the pretence of dangerous driving.

The blackmail letter was also found on Suffling’s computer after he failed to fully delete it.

He was originally sentenced to 18 months in prison for blackmail and misconduct in public office at St Albans Crown Court in September. He will now serve 3 years in prison.

The Solicitor General Robert Buckland QC MP referred the original sentence to the Court of Appeal under the Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme. Speaking after the hearing the Solicitor General said:

Suffling was in a position of trust when he carried out these offences and his letter of blackmail was nothing short of menacing. This increased prison sentence shows that anyone caught using their position in public office to commit a crime will be punished.

Link: Press release: Police officer who blackmailed member of the public has sentence increased
Source: Gov Press Releases

The Statutory Auditors Regulations 2017

These Regulations implement obligations in Directive 2014/56/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 amending Directive 2006/43/EC on statutory audits of annual accounts and consolidated accounts (OJ L 157, 09.06.06, p.87) and Regulation (EU) 537/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 on specific requirements regarding statutory audit of public-interest entities and repealing Commission Decision 2005/909/EC (“the Audit Regulation”) (OJ L 158, 27.05.14, p.77). The amended Directive 2006/43/EC is known as “the Audit Directive”. The Audit Regulation is directly applicable, but changes have been made to domestic law to remove inconsistencies between domestic law and the Audit Regulation.

Link: The Statutory Auditors Regulations 2017
Source: Legislation .gov.uk

Press release: Master trust pension schemes consultation

An ‘authorisation and supervision regime’ will ensure that tough new powers are in place to protect the 7 million members of master trust schemes, who have a combined £10 billion worth of assets invested. The changes will provide them with equivalent protection to members in other types of pension schemes.

Master trust schemes will be assessed against 5 key tests:

  • persons involved in the master trust scheme are fit and proper
  • that the scheme is financially sustainable
  • that each scheme funder meets specific requirements in order to provide assurance about their financial situation (including through presenting a business strategy and full, audited accounts)
  • the administrative and governance systems/processes used in running the scheme are sufficient
  • the scheme has an adequate continuity strategy

Under these plans, consumer savings will be more secure with master trusts being required to meet strict criteria on all aspects of operations and governance.

Guy Opperman, Minister for Pensions and Financial Inclusion, said:

The majority of master trust pension schemes are operating well, but for too long these schemes have been subject to far less regulatory scrutiny than new contract-based providers.

Nobody’s savings should be less secure simply because of the pension chosen by their employer. That is why the new authorisation and supervision regime is a significant step forward in bringing master trust and other occupational schemes into line.

These strict new tests will ensure current and future master trusts are strong, safe and well placed for consumers and employers to invest their pension contributions.

The new regime will be administered by The Pensions Regulator. Under the new regime all current and prospective master trust schemes will need to apply for authorisation to operate in the market. The regulator will also have greater ongoing powers to work with, and if necessary, de-authorise master trusts where they are at risk of failing.

Master trusts will also have to demonstrate on an ongoing basis that they continue to meet the strict authorisation criteria, including demonstrating provisions to ensure member funds are protected in the event of a scheme needing to be wound up.

The master trust market has grown rapidly since 2012. There are currently 87 master trusts, which now represent 90% of savers who have been automatically enrolled into a workplace pension.

The announcement follows the passing of the Pension Scheme Act in April 2017, which introduced this regime proposal. It is expected that the new regulations will come into effect from October 2018.

More information

As a type of multi-employer pension scheme, master trusts have the potential to offer great advantages for members and employers, due to their scale, good governance and value for members.

The vast majority of employers have chosen to use a master trust pension scheme to meet their automatic enrolment obligations rather than set up and run their own workplace pension scheme. This has led to a considerable expansion of the master trust market.

It is estimated that around 11 million workers will either be newly saving or saving more into a workplace pension by 2018, generating around £20 billion in additional pension saving by 2019/20.

Contact Press Office

Press Office

Caxton House

Tothill Street
London
SW1H 9NA

Follow DWP on:

Link: Press release: Master trust pension schemes consultation
Source: Gov Press Releases