The Foreign Secretary updated Mr Ratcliffe on the FCO’s efforts on behalf of his wife, and said that the British Ambassador in Iran had once again raised the case with the Iranians this morning and urged:
- Consular access
- Appropriate medical treatment
- A decision on Richard Ratcliffe’s visa application
- Access for Richard Ratcliffe to see his wife if a visit does go ahead
They discussed Mr Ratcliffe’s recent suggestion of diplomatic protection. The Foreign Secretary and officials outlined that the key question is whether diplomatic protection will have a positive impact on the case, given all the representations that have already been made. They agreed that lawyers should meet in the coming fortnight to discuss it further.
They also talked about the Foreign Secretary’s plan to visit Iran before the end of the year and Richard Ratcliffe’s request to accompany him on that visit. The Foreign Secretary said that our overriding principle in handling this case is to secure a permanent family reunion, not a temporary one. Any decision must be guided by that principle.
The Foreign Secretary concluded the meeting by saying that no stone would be left unturned in the case of Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe, and that of our other dual nationals detained in Iran.
- Follow the Foreign Secretary on Twitter @BorisJohnson and Facebook
- Follow the Foreign Office on Twitter @foreignoffice and Facebook
- Follow the Foreign Office on Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn
020 7008 3100
Link: Press release: Foreign Secretary meeting with Richard Ratcliffe
Source: Gov Press Releases